Google
 

Sunday, October 12, 2008

New Look Coming for Flint, MI

Now that I am back in my hometown of Flint, MI, I am starting to pay more attention to what is going on. I have long argued that Flint would be a great place to live but that the people are what is holding it back. Flint is much like Detroit in that the politics are dominated by racial tensions and corruption. We don't seem to care much since we keep voting clowns into office. This is partly because good people are either too busy being productive to run for office or simply too lazy. Of course, the quest for some false sense of power and importance propels the wrong people to be aggressive in seeking office which they ultimately win.

All that aside, I really want to be excited about the downtown development. I took a stroll down Saginaw street last week and was surprised to see construction going on. Readers can see the plans for downtown at www.whatsupdowntown.com. The reason I want to be excited is because I want to see the city I grew up in succeed. The reason I am not excited is because of the list of investors I see on the website. Normally, a sign of good things to come is indicated by a large number of private investors realizing that property and opportunity in the downtown area is significantly undervalued thereby resulting in a flood of investment. Unfortunately, I don't see names of many private investors. I see a list of government funds and community foundations which tells me that the private market largely does not see much profitability in downtown investment at this point. So why is any money being put into downtown? Well, it is because of pride in the city and a want to see it succed. This is all fine and well, and it speaks volumes for those involved - they are true patriots of the city. However, as much as we hate to admit it, the profit motive is the ultimate signal that an investment is worthwhile. This "community patriotism" always works temporarily, but I will be a believer when foundations and governments are no longer needed to make Flint a great place to live. We need private investment in Flint in the form of a new industry, plant, etc. This will be the building block of a productive, profitable Flint. To get this, we need better government and more of the "right" people. Which residents will step up?

That all being said... those loft apartments look really nice....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anything going on down by Dayton Street? One of the other lieutenants in the Battalion is from Flint and he is a fan of the Dayton Family. So far, everyone that I have met from Flint likes this group. That seems to me to be the truest test of patriotism for the city of Flint.

theChurchGuy said...

Hi, Joe,

As a guy who was born and raised in Flint, I appreciate your observations and thoughts about the city.

I invite you to visit www.flintexpats.com--if you haven't been there already--and join the conversation going on there about our beloved city.

"The Future Lives in Flint!"

Randy Gearhart
Flint Northern, Class of '68
www.theChurchGuy.com

Joe said...

Ahh, yes! The Church Guy! I do recognize you from Flintexpats. I subscribe to that blog on google reader. I do believe that many of you have a longer history with the city than I do, but I do recognize most of what you are talking about. Looking forward to reading more posts!

EMO said...

i think if the people from flint actually had money, they would invest, but you do bring up a good point. there are ex pats from flint that have made their money elsewhere that can contribute, but with things the ways they are, who can? all we can do is hope and pray for the best, i guess... maybe the dayton family can use that for their new album :) i am, however, excited as well for the new developments. it has to start somewhere. the world is turning out to be very scary. at least you have running water :)