Google
 

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Big Day in Tech News

Carl Icahn is launching a proxy battle in an effort to oust the Yahoo board and re-negotiate Microsoft's bid for Yahoo. My take? I say the Yahoo board is shaking in their boots right now. This is a clear opportunity for Microsoft to low ball Yahoo and offer 29-30 per share. Microsoft eventually upped the offer to $33 per share before withdrawing it leaving Yahoo shareholders very irritated. Maybe the Yahoo board will cave and accept a lower offer to avoid battling one of the most legendary financiers.

CBS announced a purchase of CNET networks sending CNET's shares up 40+%. It's a bummer I didn't buy a few months ago since I've had the "hunch" that CNET was going to be bought out for a long time. I guess investors should worry about the future and use the past only as a learning experience. CNET owns a number of tech media internet outlets.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do conservatives such as yourself think of the Manhattan Institute?

Anonymous said...

Good info, do you work through a broker, or do you do your own buying and selling?,,,, like those commercials of the asian gentleman buying a stock on his computer while his entire family waits anxiously in the background.

I like the stock info. You incorporate analysis and narrative very effectively and that makes it entercational.

Joe said...

I'm unfamiliar with the Manhattan Institute. I'm more of a fan of the Cato Institute since they have a more libertarian philosophy and a concentration on economics. Contrast this with the Claremont institute which is focused more on national defense and "American exceptionalism." My guess is that the Manhattan Institute falls somewhere in between.

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe said...

I do my own investing through scottrade (www.scottrade.com). It's amazing how much one is forced to learn when his own money is on the line.