Google
 

Saturday, January 30, 2010

John C Dvorak - Stop Complaining about .docx!

I'm a big fan of yours, John, but one thing that really grinds me is your condemnation of Microsoft's 2007 office file formats. As you know, they changed .xls, .ppt, and .doc to .xlsx, .pptx, and .docx. This annoyed consumer users when they started getting attachments in this new format. It's a shame that Microsoft didn't inform the public enough that downloading and installing a compatibility pack takes care of the problem.

What Microsoft DIDN'T do in the morning is highlight the incredible benefits of this new format. Files saved in this new 2007 format are sometimes more than 50% smaller than the same file saved in the 2003 format. For a consumer user, this is no big deal since chances are, most consumer use of Office documents doesn't get too heavy duty. However, the only people who actually pay $500 for an Office license reside in the corporate world and use Office for corporate use. This means sending big-time presos, excel database table exports, and large training manuals just to name a few. These files are being thrown through emails and choking email servers, not to mention setting everyone over their corporate imposed mailbox limit in no time.

I took some sample files that I received in my email inbox that were saved in the Office 2003 format. I resaved them in the same folder in the Office 2007 format. The file size difference was massive. Take a look at the photo below to see the results.




Again, if you are a consumer user, please don't use office unless...

1. You go to a college that has one of those great deals with MS where you can get Office for $45. I got my copy for $10.

2. Your business gives you a license for "work purposes" on your home computer.

3. You have a bootleg copy that seems to work ok.

There are plenty of free options such as Open Office that work just as well.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Any thoughts on iWork vs. Office, Joe?

Joe said...

Hi Ben, I've never used iWork and probably never will. I am uncontrollably biased against Apple products (even though I use an iPod).

It is probably slightly more stylish, but I already know the ins and outs of MS Office all too well. Plus, if I used iWork, I would have to buy a Mac... something I have moral opposition to.

Anonymous said...

You are better at Tech Advice than Farhad Manjoo