Google
 

Saturday, January 9, 2010

I agree with John C Dvorak

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357137,00.asp

The iPhone is ruining the country.

People spend much more time dabbling on these apps and bragging about how cool they are than they actually do being productive.

Here are some guesses.

Time saved per year by apps..  (ex. google maps getting you out of being lost, movie app helping you confirm the time of a movie etc..)
15hrs

Time wasted per year piddling around and trying out "cool" new stuff and engaging in useless conversations with friends.
300 hrs

Time spend showing off your phone to your friends
120hrs

Why do people keep trying to convince me that the 15hrs saved is worth losing a total of 420hrs out of their life?

I pay 39.99/mo to Verizon for voice service and a little more for texting which I don't need anymore now that the gf is back overseas.  Even as a tech nut, I still don't feel like I'm missing anything.  In many ways, I feel much more free.

Cheers,

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

St. Francis didn't have a cell phone, either. He was one of the most free people who ever lived.

Doctor said...

I don't text either Joe.