Google
 

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Goodbye Windows

So, I bought a new hard drive and windows couldn't recognize it.  I found this odd, but figured that since it was an OEM hard drive, maybe there was no boot record or any partition tables written.  I figured, hell, let's try the Ubuntu cd that my friend carl over at Terribleidea.net gave to me in college.  Ubuntu's setup program recognized and partitioned my hard drive.  I installed ubuntu (a windows-like version of linux) and it was great.  I upgraded to the most recent version and I like it even more!  It boots up in less than half the time that Windows takes (45 seconds vs 3-4 min).  When I go to shut the computer down, it takes about 3-5 seconds (vs 20 seconds in windows).  I LOVE this "no waiting" thing.  The only downside is that there is no iTunes for Ubuntu and it takes a little more digging to find the software that you want.  I'm only a few hours into this, but I really think I'm going to keep it and just leave Windows out.  OBTW... Ubuntu is FREE.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Use Amarok. I think it's better than iTunes anyway.

EMO said...

i'm gonna try this in espanol...

yo te quiero conocer that yo esta leyendoo su blog - mientras - esta bebiendo uno, dos, quatro cervesas... no sais... yo va a comer fettuccini alfredo. :) entonces, te echo de menos, y te amo

su hermana

emily
:)