Google
 

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jim Rogers

A good friend and a self described "socially irresponsible speculator and robber baron" mentioned I check out Jim Rogers. I asked him where I should put my money these days to which he replied "short all the investment banks and short the dollar." That's a dreary play, but I looked up Jim Rogers on YouTube, and he seems to echo with a little more clarity what Ron Paul always spoke about. He gives the same advice that my friend gave. Jim believes that the Bernanke and the Fed are setting up the United States for serious inflation and expresses serious moral disagreement with using the Fed as a means to bail out investment banks. Let me remind you that our Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson is the former CEO of Goldman Sachs, the most successful investment bank in recent years. I wonder if any of this is related..... It's all pretty interesting to me.

In the past, "Mr. Rogers" hit big on Wall Street, then retired at 37, bought an incredible looking Mercedes, and literally drove around the entire globe visiting foreign countries to grasp the culture and investment opportunities. He put it all in a book called "Adventure Capitalist." I found it on Amazon for pennies, so I snatched it up. If it's good, I'll let you know.

Anyway, I posted a couple of his TV appearances below. You can see more clips by searching for Jim Rogers on YouTube. I especially like where he talks about these bailouts enabling investment bankers to buy maseratis while we get screwed with the subsequent inflation.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard a radio commentary on the recent takeover of the failing bank by the investment company (the names of which escape me because I didn't pay attention.) The gist of the comment was that the government and other companies are rescuing companies and people from the consequences of their bad choices, therefore giving them all the more reason to continue to make bad choices.

Parents do this to their children, taking their side against the teachers, when the teachers are clearly in the right. (Why should Johnny be expected to behave respectfully and do his schoolwork? The teacher is obviously picking on my child.) Unless people eventually have consequences for wrong or foolish actions, they will continue making mistakes. It's only when we get burned or see others suffer consequences that we learn to do the right thing.