Google
 

Friday, January 9, 2009

The most exciting article I've read in a while

http://edge.networkworld.com/news/2009/010809-palm-pre-webos-debut.html?page=1

The Consumer Electronics Show is taking place now in Las Vegas.  It is the yearly drool conference for the world's geeks which is why it excites me.  Anyway, when the first year of my Verizon phone contract is up, I will be looking to upgrade to a smartphone.  I've been waiting for a phone that includes certain things that I care about such as easy syncing, USB, removable memory, good battery life, bluetooth, wifi among other things.  So far, the the first G1 phone by HTC that carries google's Android operating system seems to fit the bill, though reports say that the battery won't even get you through one day.  At CES, the fledgeling company, Palm, introduced a new smart phone that is a serious contender.  You can read an article about it at the above link.

Why not the iPhone?  Well, it's just too trendy and will be soon pushed back to obscurity because the OS is not developer friendly - aka - Apple made it difficult for computer programmers to write their own programs for the iPhone.  Plus, the keyboard sucks.  With Android and Palm's new OS, the OS is completely open meaning the possibilities are literally endless.  This next year will prove to be the most exciting year for phones.  I can't wait.

Now, if only I knew java, html, css....

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

I'm glad to see you're writing again. I depend on you to keep me up-to-date on the really important world news that often isn't reported in our local paper.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the anti-iphone thing. google development and open source philosophy is the wave of the future..... by the way. How do you reconcile that with your conservative philosophy of intellectual property rights.

Joe said...

To be honest about it, I haven't thought much about intellectual property rights. Let's just say that if they do exist, then I'm glad they're easy to break.