Google
 

Monday, January 19, 2009

Australian Open Starts

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/players/cmatch/atpf324.html

Roger Federer, a man who truly epitomizes sportsmanship, class, and style is looking to tie Pete Sampras' record of 14 grand slam championships.  I wish him well.  Roger is my favorite athlete of all time and many aspects of his game can be used as analogies for real-life situations.  The sport of tennis is unique to play since it requires tremendous coordination, condition, and most of all, complete control over one's emotions.  Adding that there are no team members to rely upon makes the disciplined mind even more important.  Experience in these situations can keep one calm when a boss or client is putting the pressure on.  It can help one maintain focus when work goes until 3am... and the list goes on.  This is one of the few times of the year that I wish I had cable (the other 3 are Wimbledon, the French Open and the US Open).  I've never had an experience watching sports that was quite as intense of set 5 in last year's Wimbledon when Nadal triumphed over Roger.  Perhaps one of the best memories of my life was being able to see him play live in Miami a couple years ago.

I think heroes are important so long as you try to emulate the best qualities the each has.  They give us something almost unreal to look up to yet they are also real humans, thus proving that seemingly impossible things can be accomplished.  Something to work towards, I suppose.

Go Roger!

3 comments:

**feelin the love** said...

I believe the same can be said about golf. I used to think it was boring, but now that I've played it, I recognize it as one of the hardest sports there is; it just takes so many of your senses to the next level, and it completely relaxes you-- it's almost impossible to play golf if you're not calm. I still don't have a fave golfer yet; Tiger, though f'n amazing, is just too obvious. Hopefully I, too, will see a live game one day. Way to get outta the sports 'Big Three'box!!

Anonymous said...

I have always been sort of impressed by your attachment to tennis. My wife and I play now. I am sure I could defeat you. When do you want to have a match?

Joe said...

Jay... Sir.... game on... hopefully I see you soon with racket in tow