Google
 

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Porcupine Mountains

Last summer, my brother and I developed grand plans to hike the John Muir Trail out in California.  I was tired of doing everything in Michigan - the whole midwest gig was old.  Well, it turned out that it was going to be vastly more expensive than we thought and required much more expertise than we thought.  A trip for another time, I guess.  Anyway, I was blown away by the beauty in Michigan's Porcupine Mountains, our eventual destination.  I had taken many trips "up north" in Michigan, but they were always very structured.  In other words, anything "cool" we wanted to do was not allowed because of parents, tour guides, scout troop leaders etc..  When it was just my brother, Paul, and I and nobody else, I was simply blown away by everything.  Going outdoors didn't seem like a chore anymore when I was up there.  So what's the bottom line here?  First, you should check out the photos from the trip.  Trip Photos Second, as much as we look to far of places for beauty, sometimes it is right in our own backyard.  Hmm.. I wonder if it is the same for women?

In other news, what's with this constant paranoia about China?  I don't get it.  In fact, I'm one of their biggest cheerleaders, but the constraints of time preclude an immediate post.  Another day.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

I've seen California and the mountains and the Grand Canyon and Cancun and the Atlantic and Florida and Pennsylvania. There's no place as beautiful as Michigan.

Anonymous said...

I recently had the same type feeling while climbing the wichita mountains here in Western Oklahoma. It was challenging, but required no equpiment.

Michigan is too cold.